For pregnancies judged to be at increased risk of cardiac abnormality, more detailed scans of the fetal heart are offered using fetal echocardiography.
This is a study of the structure of your baby's heart before birth using ultrasound. Indications include the following:
- Family history of Congenital Cardiac Disease
- Abnormal fetal heart rhythm
- Fetal heart abnormalities detected during a routine pregnancy ultrasound scan
- Congenital abnormality of another major organ system
- Insulin-dependent (type 1) diabetes mellitus
- Exposure to some drugs in early pregnancy, for example, some anti-epileptic drugs can damage the developing heart
- Abnormal amniocentesis
Our Paediatric cardiologist is also available for consultation for children from birth up to 16 years who have been referred with;
- Heart murmurs
- Blue spells
- Chest pain
- Fainting episodes
*This service is also available as a standalone appointment.
If you would like to book an appointment or require further information on the options available to you, please do not hesitate to contact our private patient booking team on the details above.