Sunglasses - Stylish & Beneficial
Protecting your eyes from the sun is just as important as protecting the skin. Sunglasses are a stylish accessory, but they also add comfort for your eyes with their UV coating which means there really should be no reason why you shouldn’t be wearing them when the sun is out.
It is extremely important to protect your eyes against the harmful UV rays of the sun as over exposure over the course of your life could lead to dangerous eye conditions. It is recommended that between the times of 10am and 4pm are when they sun’s UV rays are the strongest and protection from the UV rays are needed.
Did you know…
‘There are two kinds of ultraviolet radiation (UVR). UVA rays penetrate deep into the body’s tissues causing wrinkling and aging of the skin. UVB rays are more harmful and cause damage to the upper layers of the skin, resulting in sunburn and the development of cancer. Both of these rays can cause damage to a number of parts of the eyes including the white of your eye, the retina, the lens, iris and cornea.’ https://www.avogel.co.uk/health/eyes/the-importance-of-sunglasses/
We take a look at why it is so important to wear sunglasses and not just as a fashion piece:
• Sunglasses protect us against the UV rays and as a result can help protect the eyes against harmful conditions such as cataracts, macular degeneration, eye strain or photokeratitis, which is essentially a sunburn for your eyes. They also have glare protection offering protection against the sun’s bright glare.
• This might come as a surprise but wearing sunglasses can help reduce the risk of cancer as it is possible to get skin cancer on your eyelids and the skin around your eyes.
• As children’s eyes are still developing it is so essential that they wear sunglasses to keep them healthy as they continue to grow.
• Safe Driving! Wearing sunglasses will reduce the glare from the sun and improve your vision so you can drive happier and safer.
• Wearing sunglasses can also help with migraines as the bright light from the sun can be a trigger.
• Constant squinting can be prevented if we wore sunglasses and as a result will prevent unnecessary strain and fatigue.
At Kingsbridge Helathcare Groupl we offer a variety of eye services and treatments so if you have any concerns you can can visit our website
With the sunny weather scorching through the clouds Sweeney’s Opticians will also be offering a set of free prescription sunglass lenses as a second pair with the purchase of any other prescription glasses until the end of August 2019. So, get your sunglasses out and enjoy the sunny weather the right way!