Slow Cooked Beef Brisket, Buttered Carrots, Mustard Mash Potatoes with a Red Wine Sauce
Enjoy this slow cooked beef brisket, paired with buttered carrots and a mustard mash as a tasty dinner choice during the autumn evenings.
50g beef brisket (trimmed of fat and sinew, ask your butcher to do this)
3 sticks celery
5 bay leafs
1 bulb garlic (peeled)
500ml red wine
1ltr beef stock
00ml maris piper potatoes
100g wholegrain mustard
500ml red wine sauce
100ml rapeseed oil
• Preheat oven to 180°C.
• Chop the celery, onion, garlic and half of the carrots.
• Heat the oil in a large pot, season the brisket and brown all over.
• Remove the brisket and sweat the veg in the pot.
• Deglaze the pot with the red wine.
• Add the beef stock, half the rosemary, bay and the thyme.
• Place the stock and veg in a deep casserole dish and gently put the brisket into it, ensure the beef is covered by topping up with water if necessary.
• Cover the dish tightly and place into the preheated oven for 4 hours.
WHILE THE BRISKET IS COOKING
• For the mashed potatoes, wash and peel the potatoes.
• Put them in a pot and cover with cold water and a little salt.
• Bring to the boil and cook until soft, drain in a colander and let them dry for 5 mins before mashing.
• Season with salt and pepper and 20g of butter and mix in the mustard.
FOR THE CARROTS
• Peel carrots and cut in half lengthways.
• Place the carrots, rosemary and 30g of butter in a small pot.
• Cover the carrots with cold water (just enough water to cover them).
• Place on a low heat and cook until soft.
• After 4 hours check the brisket is cooked.
• Portion the brisket and serve on a bed of the mash and glaze with the red wine sauce.