Grilled Mackerel, Bulgar Wheat, Feta, Cucumber & Pomegranate
Combining lean proteins with complex carbohydrates and a small portion of healthy fats is a great way top balance blood sugar levels and manage weight. This dish provides all of these elements and is tasty and enjoyable.
4 mackerel fillets (skin on and bones removed)
200g bulgar wheat
20g ras el hanout or moroccan spice
25g flat leaf parsley
100g feta cheese
1 lemon zest
5g za'atar spice
Cucumber and Pomegranate Salad
1 cucumber (diced)
1 pomegranate (deseeded)
1tsp nigella seeds (onion seeds)
5g coriander (chopped)
1 red chilli (deseeded and finely chopped)
10ml white vine vinegar
5g caster sugar
5ml pomegranate molasses
salt and pepper
- Bring 400ml of water to the boil in a large pot. Stir in the bulgur and the Ras e Hanout.
- Cover and cook for 12mins or until the bulgar is tender
- Once cooked drain any excess liquid and spread it out on a baking tray.
- Once cooled transfer to a large bowl and mix in the herbs and crumble in the feta. Season with black pepper.
- Combine all the ingredients together and season with salt and pepper.
- Season the mackerel on a baking tray and place under a hot grill side up for 3 mins.
- Turn the fillets and give them another 2 mins.
- Serve in the bulger and cucumber.