February is National Heart Month
Join the 3fivetwo Group and get your heart healthy with our Healthy Heart Assessment
February is National Heart Month
National Heart Month aims to highlight how important a healthy heart is to a healthier future.
At the 3fivetwo Group we know how important a healthy lifestyle is in keeping your heart in great condition. We offer a range of diagnostic scans and tests with experts in the comfort of a private clinic at our private GP service.
What is coronary heart disease?
Coronary heart disease (CHD) is the UK's biggest killer. CHD develops when the blood supply to the muscles and tissues of the heart are obstructed by the build-up of fatty materials inside the walls of the coronary arteries.
‘CHD causes round 74,000 deaths each year. That's an average of 200 people every day.’
Your heart needs a blood supply as well so that it continues to keep working properly. The heart is one of the hardest working organs in the body beating an amazing 100,000 times in one day and 35 million times in a year. Heart disease occurs when this usual clockwork process is disrupted. The arteries that carry this blood start to become blocked by a build-up of fatty deposits known as plaques. This can lead to high blood pressure, which also increases the risk of heart disease.
‘In the UK, there are an estimated 2.3 million people living with CHD.’
Angina is caused If your arteries are partially blocked resulting in severe chest pains that can spread across your upper body. This can also put you at greater risk of a heart attack.
Genetic factors can also put you at a higher risk. Family history of heart disease in middle-age is a good way of determining if you may be at risk.
‘About one in six men and one in nine women die from the disease.’
Lifestyle factors can also increase the risk of CHD. To reduce your risk you should:
- Eat healthy foods low in saturated fats
- Reduce your intake of salt
- Get active - moderate exercise will improve your overall health and wellbeing
- Quit smoking
GP at Kingsbridge Private Hospital, Doctor Roger Brown said, "So many people in Northern Ireland are neglecting the health of their hearts and many deaths last year could potentially have been prevented if undiagnosed heart –related problems had been discovered sooner and interventions instigated which would have saved those lives. “
A lot of people often forget how important it is to keep a check on vital organs such as the heart. They often pay more attention to the things they see visually and disregard on the ones they can't see. Don't let 2014 be the year that you turn a blind eye.
At our dedicated Heart Clinic we let you see the health of your heart. Our tests will give you the information you need to make a changes for a healthier future. Working together, we can improve your heart health and your chances of a long and healthy life.
‘In the past couple of decades, deaths from CHD have nearly halved due to better treatments.’
What can I do to find out if I am at risk?
- See a GP if you feel you might be at risk. A GP will be able to provide you with advice on reducing your risk or refer you onto a specialist in cardiology.
- Book a Healthy Heart Assessment. At the 3fivetwo Group we offer a comprehensive cardiac health service which includes a physical examination, risk evaluation, 12 lead ECG as well and other diagnostic tests to ensure your heart is in tip-top condition.
- Book an appointment with one of our experts:
At the 3fivetwo Group, our team of Consultant Cardiologists can offer a Healthy Heart Assessment (Stage 1) to include:
- Physical examination
- Family History
- Height, weight and BMI
- Cholesterol and blood pressure check
- Cardiovascular Risk evaluation
- 12 lead ECG
- Exercise stress test/treadmill or echocardiogram
- CT calcium scoring and/or cardiac CT angiography (Stage 2)
Healthcare Professionals and Consultants